Montalcino Tour: the magic of Tuscany
We’re back in Montalcino for an all-Tuscan adventure. This unique, new culinary hiking tour takes us along the paths of the Val d’Orcia into an almost fairytale world of food and wine
- Price p.p.75€
- DurationAll dayh.
The fortress among the vines
Lose yourself in Montalcino, one of Tuscany’s most magical hill towns
The heart of marvels
Some journeys take you not to a destination, but to something beautiful, something you’ve never seen before. One such journey is the road to Montalcino, a secret gem in the buried heart of Tuscany, and one of the most special experiences that Italy has to offer.
We are in the Val d’Orcia, in the heart of a citadel, moated with vines. The air quivers in the sunset and the slopes whisper stories of an ancient power, thrumming in the land. The churches, the medieval walls: history and nature merge in the stones.
Places like this are rare in the world, and walking here is more than a mere hike, more than just exercise. It’s a rediscovery of human wonder.
Montosoli- The wood on the hilltop
Imagine the sun streaming down on the vines, the gentlest breeze brushing the folded hills. Then listen to your footsteps, and the leaves rustling on either side of the footpath. If you can hear them – really hear them – it’s time to set off.
The entire trail takes around four hours over a seven-mile (11km) route, which varies in altitude by some 1,300 feet (400 m). It presents no particular difficulties and requires no training.
Walkers who feel particularly starved of beauty can extend the route into the Montosoli circuit, where a gorgeous natural mosaic is the result of an oak wood meeting the vines.
You will have a guide at your side throughout the day. They will be happy to consider any variations to the route according to your needs or interests.
Lunches can be booked from an à la carte menu, available at a number of selected restaurants.
Tour groups must be a minimum of four and a maximum of eight persons. The tour finishes with a wine tasting session, featuring our finest wines from the Poggio Landi winery.
- Meeting point and welcome in Montalcino, Via Ricasoli, by the entrance to the castle at 9.00 am
- Walking through the town of Montalcino: an 8 km / 5 mile circuit through the town, with a packed lunch picnic. Altitude variation +- 400 m / 1300 feet.
- Tuscan food and wine experience: wine tasting session at the Enoteca, featuring wines from the Poggio Landi estate and local pecorino cheeses. Parking available outside the enoteca.
- Duration: full day
- Recommended clothing: thick-soled sports shoes or walking boots; light, comfortable clothing; personal water bottle with at least one litre of water per person (otherwise a smaller bottle of water will be provided); sunscreen; cap with sun visor; raincoat in case of variable weather
- Booking is required. Tours run with a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 persons. Available dates can be found in the calendar under “Book your tour”
- Alternative availability: on request
- Free entry for children under 12 years old
- Pets not admitted to the wine cellars
- Booking required at least 72 hours before the activity
- Cancellation clause: refunds will only be given if parties provide notice of their cancellation by email at least 72 hours before the start of the event
- Optional extras, available on request: Lunch in traditional restaurant (in place of packed-lunch picnic)
Località Pod. Belvedere, SP71 Fraz. Torrenieri, 53024 Montalcino (SI)
Wine Shop Tel:+39 0577 042736 Email: [email protected]